18/08/1904 Centenary St Piran in the Sands
The event was made known, not only in the neighbourhood but to the large number of visitors who flock to Cornwall in August. It was decided on an open air service at the Cross, a fitting spot. At 2-3pm vehicles made their way from every direction. A great number on foot streamed across the pathless wastes, towards the hoary old monument of Celtic Christianity.
Men and boys of Truro Cathedral Choir led the singing. Messrs. H&N Robins of Perran ably accompanied with 2 cornets. At 3.30pm robed clergy and choir arrived at the Cross followed by the Dean and Chaplain, The Rev Canon Flint, rural dean of Powder. The service conducted by the vicar, Rev Edwardes, opened with “O God our help in ages past” taken up by the vast body of voices, the people being gathered around the cross in ring after ring as far as the eye could reach. Then behaviour of the multitude itself was reverence, many standing bareheaded in the sun which lit up the yellow sand hills and green vegetation around.
The bishop addressed the people from a small platform near the Cross, he took no text for his remarks. The place on which they stood, the ancient cross round which they gathered, symbol of that faith preached on that spot, so many years ago, was text enough for him and them. The crowds slowly dispersed, many of them making a pilgrimage to the lost church on their way home. estimates vary, between 1000 -2000, but counting was exceedingly difficult under the circumstances. Perhaps 1500 is a more reasonable conjective.
The following clergy were present:-